I'm curious what other kids do at school. I remember school being regimented with a different colored sequential book and workbook for each subject and grade. While this was often boring, it did build and show progress.

I have trouble understanding what DS8 is learning. He's 8 and loves school. He's 2e (dyslexia/graphia/praxia)
If anyone is really up on curriculum, please take a look at this and let me know if you think it is ok.

Typical week
For math he does:
2 pages of six digit addition and subtraction (usually about 8 problems per page)
Worksheets where he has to read word problems and graphs, set up problems and solve them. Sometimes these involve time, money or fractions.

Logic problems (these are very much like what was on the LSAT if you've taken that)
Creating Venn diagrams out of random things (There must be a big book of worksheets because he's been doing these forever. They give a big word bank and a few rules and off he goes with the circles.)

Worksheets where he corrects bad spelling and punctuation.
Grammar and punctuation worksheets.

He does a spelling test. It seems normal.

His reading comp seems to be mixed with history. For example he'll get a two page passage on the war of 1812 and then answer multiple choice, fill in the blank and short answer questions.

The rest is just the extras depending on the day - music, cooking, presentations, watching documentaries, art, keyboarding, yoga, coding, and library (They use the public one down the street so he can get whatever)

I really like the school. The extras are wonderful and the teachers really care about the kids. It just all seems kind of random sometimes. The grammar worksheets for this week will look pretty much like the ones from a month ago. The addition problems are mostly the same too. I am not sure if it is just so incremental that I can hardly tell a difference or what.

DS is a big fan of easy work. When he finishes his assignments he gets to read or work on making his latest comic book or coding or science project. I think the head teacher is an unschooler at heart.

We are not putting him in the public gifted that starts next year because he is so happy there.

Thoughts?