Had a good conversation with DS' teacher at the conference last night. The teacher told me that after the last email communication about DS not very interested in doing the challenged packet, he has been showing more interest in the packet. Part of it could be due to working the same packet with another boy in the class who is his good friend.

Right after I asked the teacher if my understanding was correct that he was working on these problems after he's done with the regular classwork, the teacher said yes but she will start to just have him do the packet (after he's done with the current one) because it is just redundant work for him to do what he has already mastered. I told the teacher this may help his attitude towards working on the challenged problems since he won't see this as "extra" work.

One thing I found out from the teacher is that because his limitations in vocabulary, he's had some trouble understanding the word problems. Once he's explained the meaning of the words, he usually does not have trouble answering the question. So this is an area that we need to work on with him. I hope Beast Academy will help with this as well.