Originally Posted by KnittingMama
Originally Posted by Wren
It seems logical that a student that aspires for a more elite college would aspire for greater career success.

But career success does not necessarily equal higher income. My alma mater tends to attract students with a bent towards social justice. It's a highly ranked school, except when it comes to rankings by post-graduation income. Lots of my classmates have great careers in advocacy and helping others, but they're not necessarily making a lot of money.

I call shenanigans!

All of the highly ranked schools provide direct access to premier consulting jobs and other superior careers, meaning that all such schools necessarily top the charts of post-graduation income.

Plus, money is how you measure your valuation in the global economy.

It's really the only objective scorecard we have.

for instance, if I make $400,000 per year, I can find my ranking on the income charts to compare myself against the other players.

Since I'm in the 1%, I can be satisfied that I am doing ok, for now. I can't relax and become complacent, since it's really only the first step to winning the game. There are a ton of people in the 1%.

I think the ultimate goal is to reach the top 0.01% in terms of both income and wealth.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/income-rank/