Chay, thank you so much for your detailed reply. Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to reply using multi-quote, so I'll just dump all my thoughts here!

My thought on timing of applying for public gifted is that if I have test results in hand early, I can start having conversations with the school (and be taken seriously) early on, in order to make sure that this is the right placement for DS. Also, I've been told that the board does not have to provide us with a gifted placement until we are officially enrolled. So, it could involve starting in September at our home school before having a transfer approved. Because of this issue, I'd rather have our request submitted nice and early, in case that helps with their planning.

I agree with your comment that personality plays a role. I am seeing signs that DS's younger sister may be at the same level as him. I'm not worrying about her yet because she has a totally different personality that I think will enable her to be very successful in school. DS needs to have his academic needs met, and needs a teacher who understands the way he thinks.

The public school we are looking at will accept the WPPSI, so we could just go with it and be done. I guess my concern is wanting to get information about what level of giftedness we are looking at, and a fear that we won't pinpoint that via the WPPSI.