Thanks for all your input. So, the school is not doing any remediation. They are only doing accommodations. I went back and looked at the 504 and the only diagnosis they wrote was ADHD. The diagnosis from the private doctor reads like this:

Adhd, primary inattentive type (mild to moderate)
specific learning disability with impairment in reading accuracy and fluency
specif learning disability with impairment in written expression affecting spelling accuracy, grammar and punctuation, writing output.

Previously to this doctor we have a visual processing diagnosis also (from years ago)
At the 504 meeting they gave me the most "typical accommodations" (copy of notes, preferential seating, positive praise, study guide) and I requested they add 3 others (extra time, alternate response, being allowed to take picture of homework assignment instead of having to write it down) and the school psychologist suggested 2 other things: and additional class period to complete work and 30% fewer questions to measure content/skills.
At the time of the meeting he had a D in two classes. But he is not failing anything.

He arrives home from school and takes a break for 30 minutes to 1 hour and then does homework the rest of the evening (sometimes 4 hours)-- the school says it is supposed to take 2 hours. I don't know if I am making more than I need (am I worrying unnecessarily?) or if the traditional school is not for him.

Thoughts?