Jumping off the thread above about a grade skip for 1st grader... someone mentioned math clubs. I don't want to hijack, so let me ask here...

Can I ask about experiences with math clubs/after school math programs?

Right now DS is in K, working 2 years ahead in math at home. I've been his math teacher for a long time and it seems to be working out okay. We enjoy working on math together. However, I feel like at some point he would enjoy something... more? different?

We're considering having him join an after school math program (I guess it's a math club?) next year, where he would do 3rd grade math once a week for 1.5 hours/week as a 1st grader. They use Beast Academy.

Should I bother doing this or is 1st grade still to young? It's pretty easy for me to just work through the Beast Academy books at home, which allows me to back off when he needs a break and speed ahead for things he already knows.

I wonder if this is just a way for me to feel like I'm doing something to deal with the lack of appropriate leveled math he gets at school?

After schooling already feels a little hard to schedule. He does other activities and sometimes I feel like he doesn't have enough down time.

So I guess the question is, what are the benefits of a math club at the 3rd grade level & his age vs say working at home with a parent?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!