DS5 was assessed by the school psychologist using WPPSI-IV and WIAT-III. He is exceptionally advanced academically and on an IEP for motor skills. We requested the assessment because we had noticed that he was much slower at some visual spatial tasks than his twin sister (e.g. solving mazes) and he was struggling with certain tasks and transitions.

His WPPSI subtest scores ranged from 9 to 19 but the psychologist shrugged these off as �average = fine� to �very superior�, without providing any insight into why his profile might be so spiky. I suspect that she did not make any accommodations or substitute subtests due to his motor disability, but am questioning whether motor issues fully explain the spread in his numbers. On the WIAT-III he reached the ceiling for his age on both Early Reading Skills (145) and Math Problem Solving (160).

<edited>

I would like to have a better understanding of what these subtest scores are truly telling us. My biggest concern is that he may have a disability that is being masked by his strengths. While the VCI score makes sense relative to observed ability, I wonder how his math / abstract reasoning skills were reflected in the WPPSI and what may have caused so much spread in his scores. His WIAT-III score seems to accurately reflect his observed math ability; apparently he went far beyond the questions required to reach the ceiling for his age. Processing speed is another question mark: he does mental arithmetic far faster than I can, and according to the psychologist he solved all the WIAT-III problems using mental math.

Incidentally, I am not certain that the psychologist wrote the correct index scores. There were some obvious typos in the percentiles and confidence intervals in her report. Based on the scaled subtest scores I wonder whether Fluid Reasoning should score lower than Visual Spatial.

Thanks for any insights.

Last edited by trio; 05/01/16 01:13 PM. Reason: to remove numbers