Every year our district offers DD11 ESY and we turn it down. She works so hard all school year with so much attention focused on her disabilities I have always felt that summers were her time to relax, have fun, do theater, hang out with friends and just be as normal a kid she can be. She has been begging to go to sleep away camp so I have been wondering about the possibility of finding a summer camp program that would allow her to have fun but also work on Assistive Technology and/or speech.

When I looked on line I found what looks to be a great program only to discover it is located in Ireland. Lucky for the Irish but probably not feasible for us. Does anyone have experience with such a program in the US? I have an IEP meeting later this week and may want to test the waters but would need a good option to use as an example.

Any input on how to search would also be appreciated. Obviously a camp designed for cognitively impaired kids won't work. Most of what I have found for LD camps seem to combine with ADHD/ASD/Social-Emotional issues. DD already spends all year in a spec Ed environment so I would hope to avoid her having to deal with outbursts or erratic behavior during the summer too. I assume it would only be a week or 2 and she will still be able to spend the rest of the summer with neurotypical peers so it wouldn't be the end of the world but wondering if anyone could advise how I would screen for inappropriate populations along with appropriate activities and supports.

Thanks!