I am trying to find the right educational fit for my 5yr old son. He's been identified as 2E: 145 GAI with sensory processing issues. He struggled in 2 preschools (anxiety, defiance, hating school, behavior issues) until we found one that was a good fit. We've learned along the way the classroom environment is hugely important for his success.

That brings me to the question of kindergarten. He just missed the cutoff for K this year which means next year he will be one of the oldest kids, probably the fastest learner and definitely the tallest kid in the class (he's already 49"). The two options I am considering is a selective enrollment public school for gifted in Chicago (assuming he gets in) and a public school in a very good district (Barrington, IL). Barrington has a traditional mix of abilities but it does have a gifted program starting in 2 or 3. The selective enrollment schools made up of all high achieving kids and typically accelerates the kids by 2-3 years.

Barrington is a beautiful suburb with large yards, forest preserves and the calmness of country life. Kids can run around the neighborhood. Chicago is vibrant with lots to do but we would be living in an apartment or maybe a very small house with no yard. He wouldn't be able to run around the neighborhood without me.

Thoughts from anyone who's been here before me?????

Any thoughts are appreciated

Last edited by rioja; 12/05/15 12:08 PM.