My son, who just turned six and started kindergarten this year, is really into spelling. He has been sounding words out/spelling since he was about four but now he's obsessed. He spells most sentences instead of speaking them and constantly asks me to confirm the spelling of various objects of discussion. His spelling is pretty good and he can spell fairly complicated things. Just the other day he wrote a story about barricading a door and he spelled "barricading" correctly. Here is the thing I find puzzling. He is starting to read after years of resisting or lack of interest (he wanted to passively listen to stories) and making quick progress but his reading isn't nearly as good as his spelling. He will, for example, spell "you" in a sentence but if he sees it written he sounds it out. He sometimes looks at a word and seems puzzled but then I spell it out loud and he just knows it. It's so strange to me. I'm wondering if this is common. Or uncommon. Or a sign of something that we should keep an eye on.