Originally Posted by ebeth
Very cool game, Val. I haven't showed it to DS yet (we are reading books and getting ready for bedtime), but I will tomorrow. But I'm certainly addicted to it!! I know what I will be doing for the rest of the evening!

But I agree with Dazey! I would love to hear about the DNA paper. My eight year old is fascinated with anything related to DNA, and he has me hooked as well. He reads books about mitochondria, RNA, gene sequencing, etc. And he loved the Standard Deviant's Biology tape and sat glued to it for over 2 hours. Do you have any resources for kids for learning about DNA? (Or for us stay-at-home moms who have degrees in science?) I would love suggestions.

Hi EBeth,

The paper is pretty technical but is available for free; parents with a reasonable understanding of DNA base pairing and who are comfortable with advanced algebra will be able to follow it. It's actually well worth the effort because it talks about fractal-like patterns in DNA sequences. I found it to be very trippy stuff and well worth the effort.

Here's a link to the paper on PubMed Central.

Another paper commented on this one ~3 years later; you can also get it free at PubMed Central.

I also owe some people a small kit for extracting DNA from a piece of fruit. I'll try to get that together this weekend. Sorry for the delay, but a couple people told me they wouldn't get to it until summer and so I procrastinated.

Val