This is a great time for the kids to explore on their own and do whatever that fascinates them. I personally think school is overrated. :-) Once a kid starts school, there is a structure in place that one doesn't always find productive.

DS at that age never did any workbook. We read a huge number of books -- just went to the library each weekend and he would pick out books that he thought were interesting. We could go through 40 books a week. He did lots of games, legos, trains, etc at preschool (it was play-based). The teachers bought math games for him. He also did lots of creative play. Once he dug a huge and complex canal system in the preschool playground, and when I went to pick him up one day, the canal was done, water was running through it, and many kids were launching boats in it.

Things were great in preschool. We also had music classes, etc. DD also watched the whole series of Magic Schoolbus over and over and gobbled down those books. Kindergarten was OK. Starting from 1st grade when teachers had a pretty fixed curriculum to use and the focus was on bringing all kids up above a baseline, things went all the way downhill until high school.

So if I went back, I would not want to enroll my kids early in school at all. I'd give them more free time. Actually, since DS was maybe 3rd grade, our goal changed from advocating for more advanced instruction to finding him more free time at school so he could do what he needed/wanted to do. Same goes for DD.

Last edited by playandlearn; 11/17/15 08:23 AM.