Originally Posted by blackcat
I'm not clear from your post if the problem with the teacher and the writing assignments are resulting from his acceleration. If so, then it might be appropriate to bring it up (if you can do it diplomatically). If there is any possibility that the problems with writing could impact how successful he is with the plan, then I would bring it up as well, so no one can accuse you of hiding anything later on. If everyone knows and is still on board, they can't complain about his writing later.

The issue comes up because of the pullout, not because of the acceleration. The rest of the class has a dedicated 30 minutes to do the assignment every Monday. DS has to do it during little snippets of time when he has finished the current worksheet on Tuesday. If it isn't complete by mid-day when they have scheduled recess he has to stay in from recess to complete it.

Part of the acceleration discussion was whether he could handle the more advanced curriculum and his maturity. During the first meeting her point on maturity was that he doesn't do his writing assignments. The day before the first meeting he hadn't done his writing...I had asked him about it the day before and he said that she wanted them to write about something interesting from the book she had just read to the class. He said there was nothing interesting (the book was a couple grade levels below his level...) We are working with him on parsing words...told him if there's nothing interesting, just write about something he liked or thought was funny.