I don't think it's new. The teachers in my daughter's school don't grade homework in early grades either. I think it is just practice and parents are expected to help. I do think it is probably bad if kids don't have parents who can look at the homework and make sure they understand it, but maybe teachers look over the work of those students? I wouldn't know; we don't have that issue.

I always looked my daughter's over and just made sure she understood everything. I never thought the homework or the request was excessive.

But this year the teachers have cut all homework except for reading and spelling. Other work is pointed out as potential homework, and kids are supposed to take it home if they personally think they need the practice. If kids need to learn something, teachers send that home, request a signature, and I imagine they grade it. I love this system!! My child is dysgraphic and now she can spend all of her homework time (and effort) on the writing journal that goes along with her reading--and that's what she needs. The rest was just junk. If I'd had seen how well this works, I would have pushed for it earlier.

If the whole grade has the same homework policy, maybe you could get a group of parents together to 1) ask what the purpose or objective for the homework is and then 2) suggest that the school change the homework policy to better meet the needs of the teachers and students if the current homework doesn't meet its purpose or if there is no purpose? If teachers don't have time to grade homework or it is assumed that students know the material so well that they don't need feedback, it sounds like homework isn't purposeful or meeting needs. (I know some schools give homework just because there are parents who request it. If the purpose is to appease homework-loving parents, there may be a way that satisfies more people.)