How historically accurate are any textbooks put in front of elementary/middle school kids...just the other day someone posted an article about a history text book claiming that slavery wasn't what the civil war was about (and here I am paraphrasing the article and not sure how accurately I am paraphrasing the article)...something about the text book company was going to change the online version of the text due to the uproar/backlash but the hardback copies could be out there for a long time.

I think when you boil all of the Vikings down to 3 or so short lessons and a bunch of activities you aren't going to be able to write a Ph.D. thesis on them. You are going to get the basics as a foundation.

With the classical education model...you go through the cycle in elementary school at a basic level. You repeat it in middle school more in depth and repeat it again in high school. With some gifted children...you could skip going through the cycle three times and just do it more in depth and detailed once at the higher level at an earlier age.

My older son did Story of the World as a homeschooler in elementary, regular middle school classes in public school (world history, civics, american history) and has now expressed that history is his favorite subject in high school. He has taken AP Human Geography and AP World History. He isn't profoundly gifted and I wasn't a history major to know how awful they really are so I think the Story of the World was fine for him.