I'm out of the country so DYS isn't an option but I will say that this has been a long road for us and a matter of building things up slowly. Our first IEP wasn't perfect but it was an improvement over what we had and we slowly improved it over the years. Our system sends them home 4 times a year and there are lots of opportunities to request changes. I also have found that even if the IEP is perfect it still comes down to the teacher that is implementing it. Some years the IEP isn't really needed because the teacher is going way above and beyond. Other years, we need every word so that we can try to hold the teacher accountable (assuming they are actually capable).

It took me awhile to realize that I was in for a marathon not a sprint and that I needed to pace myself properly. Of course YYMV.

ETA - went back and reread a few posts (sorry for rushing and not reading more the first time). In my experience with my 2e DS that also has writing issues the schools/teachers were fantastic at allowing and recommending accommodations. Most elementary teachers are extremely empathetic and concerned when kids are obviously struggling. Most of our fun has been on the gifted side.

Last edited by chay; 10/20/15 08:14 AM.