My daughter switched from charter to public this year, which overall has been a very good thing for her.

Except for leveled reading. Her charter school used the A-Z levels, but did not do formal assessments. She left first grade on a Level V for comprehension, fluency, inferential, etc.

Her new school has placed her on a level K. Her teacher explained that it largely has to do with the fact that they start with non-fiction, and while she couldn't show me the actual assessment, she said my DD got stuck on questions that asked about things like "text features".

When looking at her DIBEL scores afterwards, it seems so incongruent with the reading level they assigned to her. The kids are required to do 45 minutes of Leveled reading in the classroom each day....she is bored to death during this time. Short of teaching her the new-to-her vocabulary that accompanies the leveled assessment questions ("text features", "text structures", timelines, alliteration, etc) to help her bump up faster, I'm at a loss of what to do.

These are her DIBEL Scores, BOY

NWF-CLS: 80 (Goal 54)
NWF-WWR: 24 (Goal 13)
DORF-Fluency: 164 (Goal 52)
DORF-Accuracy: 100 (Goal 90)
DORF-Retell: 99 (Goal 16)

WR (don't know what this is):
List B: 24 (max. score 24)
List C: 24 (max. score 24)

ETA: Her MAP-Reading Score was also in the 99th percentile, scoring high in all of the sub-categories, including non-fiction/informational texts.

Last edited by mayasmom; 09/24/15 06:21 AM.