Originally Posted by Kai
Depends on the teacher what they grade, how difficult the assignments are, and how lenient they are when they grade it. It is so teacher dependent that I can't believe colleges even consider grades when making admissions decisions.
I'd have to find the research but from what I understand grades are a better indication of college success than doing well on standardized tests. While there is a huge variation in what a grade means even within one school and certainly with others. I'm not quite sure why but I assume it based on kids who get good grades usually have good study habits.

Yes this doesn't really seem fair and it's why there are things like AP tests & standardized tests as well. It frustrating because for example the pass rates for AP varies at lot between schools. I know many a kid at DS's school got a B for classes they got 5's on the AP test. And I've heard students from other schools complain that that while they got A's in the class they barely passed (got a 3) on the AP's. Clearly these classes aren't the same class nor graded on the same scale.