No, no and no. This experience was right after college graduation, wedding, and temp relocation (do to husband's career) to an area where I was lucky to find any work since I didn�t speak Spanish.
I really do mean some of these kids were dirt poor. They came to school early to bathe in the bathrooms (because they didn�t have running water at their homes). The case histories I got (oral) were from the school principle and classroom aides. The most challenging child tried to stab me with a pencil everyday. I was told that he was born addicted to drugs and that he lived with his elderly grandmother because both parents were in prison. I�m sorry to say that I don�t believe that I made a positive difference in the five months that I worked with him. Hopefully, the Special Ed teacher that they finally recruited was more successful.
Gifted Ed wasn�t on my radar at the time, but I often think about one boy in particular whom I had an excellent rapport. His father was a migrant farm worker. He had acted out in his regular class previous to my arrival, so he was sentenced to my room for math everyday (to do his regular class work). I don�t think he minded leaving his class and he didn�t need much assistance from me. Some of the teachers were of the opinion that he was a future ditch digger though. I think they were wrong and I hope he�s doing well.

Diana