I recently posted on another section about getting my DS6 (7 in Nov) retested because his school psychologist administered the KABC-II to him last year and I think the scores weren't an accurate reflection of his abilities. Another problem with the KABC-II is that none of the programs for gifted in my area accept the test. I think he could benefit because our school has no gifted program (IL) and I think he'd enjoy the programs.

My son also has Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) with auditory processing and tactile defensiveness. He's been working with OT at school and with a therapist for a year, and is doing much batter managing his sensory issues. Anyway, on the other post someone suggested that if there was a disparity was more due to his age and SPD rather than the test instrument. Am I crazy thinking my kid is in the gifted range rather than "bright"?

He taught himself to read right after his 4th birthday, and we discovered his facility with numbers because we had him count to calm down with meltdowns. 1-10 turned to 1-100, then skip counting, then backwards... all at age 4. He started doing simple addition and subtraction also and by age 5 he was reading at a 3rd grade level and could add and subtract large numbers in his head as well as beginning multiplication and division. His memory is phenomenal, he does Lego sets for age 12+ (huge ones!) on his own, and is working on a 750 piece puzzle at present. One of his favorite shows is "How it's Made" and he asks questions that are beyond a typical 6 year old.

He's not writing a novel or working with string theory by any stretch, but these things seem fairly outside the norm to me, and not just by a little bit. If I asked most kids his age what 176+14 is, they normally wouldn't be able to answer me immediately. Am I crazy? Am I just doing the mom thing and thinking he's brighter than he is? Do you think the SPD is a factor?

His KABC-II scores were:
Mental Processing Index (overall IQ) 124, 95th percentile

Subtests:
Sequential: 109, 73rd percentile
Simultaneous: 130, 98th percentile
Learning: 111, 77th percentile