Originally Posted by SilverMom
I am new to gifted kid eductation. My daughter,4th grader, is recently identified as PG.
Welcome!

Could you kindly advise what factors we should look at when choose between public school district gifted program vs. pprivate school?
If you are in the United States, you may wish to begin by checking your state laws. The Davidson Institute for Talent Development (DITD) provides links to up-to-date information: Gifted Education Policies by State

This post is a roundup of ideas, tips, and resources for school fit, evaluating a gifted program, and educational advocacy. You may wish to read each school's website and compare their gifted policies, programs, services, philosophy, and identification criteria. For example, some school's gifted programs may consist of curriculum one year ahead. Others may "differentiate" within the classroom. Few may create flexible cluster groups by readiness and ability, regardless of chronological age and/or grade level so that children are learning at the appropriate challenge level or in their zone of proximal development (ZPD), with the closest possible intellectual peers in a subject.

Take notes or create a spreadsheet to compare the information which you learn from each school. You may wish to gather information on the 5Ws (Who-What-Where-When-Why and How). More information and examples at these two old posts: 1 & 2.

Families often make an appointment to tour the schools which they are considering, and children visit for a day, "shadowing" another student while experiencing the atmosphere of the school to see if it is a good "fit".

Or, what are factors that we should pay more attention when select a gifted program in general?
The Davidson Institute for Talent Development (DITD) provides the "Davidson Database" which includes articles by experts on topics such as:
1) Basic Educational Options for Gifted Children
2) Choosing the Right School for Your Gifted Child

The book A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children has a chapter dedicated to Finding a Good Educational Fit. There is a list of questions more important than "Is my child in a gifted program?" by Dr. Donald Treffinger. This is also found online at Center for Creative Learning (CCL), titled “Dear School People”.

(maybe more towards middle school and high school, unless it is also important to be in a gifted program for 5th grade)
In middle school and high school, each child may pursue individual interests outside of school which help distinguish them from other students. The books of Elizabeth Wissner Gross may be of interest, including:
1) What High Schools Don't Tell You and Other Parents Don't Want You to Know,
2) What Colleges Don't Tell You, and Other Parents Don't Want You to Know.
These books provide tips and ideas on what to do beginning in middle school to help your child find and pursue opportunities in his/her areas of strength.

I am creating a link to your thread on a similar topic: which school to choose - your advice please