I do all of the above. smile Some free time, some scheduled stuff like swimming lessons, and also a limit on computer time. I only have 2, but they would spend hours (DS7 especially, but DD5 can hold her own) hooked to the computer if I didn't set limits. I find that having some projects around helps with the computer addiction whining.

This summer I am taking a 3 or 4 week driving vacation that includes Yellowstone and a bunch of other western areas such as Mesa Verde. I plan to encourage journaling each day and will bring lots of books on area history, geysers and anything else I can think of. DD5 has recently decided that she wants to be a Mythbuster (in particular Kari) when she grows up, so life has become one big science experiment. I'm currently trying to come up with some science stuff to do on the road with us, like identifying rocks at each camp site.

When they have free time, I find myself planning or finding supplies for lots self planned of activites for them. Recently they have made rock candy, exploded diet coke with mentos, made paper prisms, tried to determine if an equal volume of boiling water weighs less than that volume of cold water, built ramps to see if a toy car could jump over a bowl of water into the sink...

It just gets busier in the summer. I think the vacation will be a break for me because it will keep them so busy.

Jill