I know of several of these programs-- I have a good friend whose child was enrolled in one in TX.

It wasn't entirely smooth sailing-- but they don't really regret the decision, either.

The one that I've heard the best things about over the years is the residential program at UW, which is also one of the oldest such programs. They tend to do intake for the program at younger ages, though-- and do a couple of years in transition to prepare for residency at the UW campus. I think that is probably the key thing, with very young college matriculants.

This has always been something of a thing for HG/+ kids-- they simply bypass a high school diploma and earn an AA or two instead. My high school BFF did that, and went on to a CPA by the time I finished my undergrad degree. She regrets NOTHING about that experience, by the way. Community colleges are in some ways easier environs for very young students because they tend to be commuter settings (which I know isn't what you're thinking about), but also because many or even most of the students on such campuses are "non-traditional" students.

Being 13-16 and on a college campus is, by default, being "non-traditional" as a student. My own DD has been occasionally sad because when you're on a traditional campus, this fact is VERY much at the forefront of social experiences a lot of the time. She might have fit in better on a campus with more commuters, but those are rare now among four year colleges and universities, most of whom have gone to required freshman residency policies.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 07/07/15 07:08 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.