It will actually be considerably harder for the older kids to qualify with SAT scores because you need to meet at least two rather than just one score ( CR + M, CR + Composite, or M + Composite). This means you can't just be extraordinarily in one area (M or CR) but at least excellent at the second area (M or CR). I think a similar change for ACT as well as you now need at least three scores.

It also looks like it will be harder to qualify with the WISC V versus the WISC IV. Aside from the fact that a 145 on WISC V has to be significantly more difficult to achieve (Flynn effect, etc.), you can't just get in on a single index score like Verbal Comprehension on WISC IV as you can previously.

The one type of score (IQ or Achievement) versus two types of scores is not so different than applicants submitting one type of score and then resorting to a portfolio in the past. Although on balance, I do agree that it might open up the program considerably, especially for the youngest applicants. It was my understanding that the youngest kids often get considerably inflated scores on WIAT and the Woodcock Johnson Achievement test.

At a quick glance, I think that it will raise the caliber of older applicants (7th grade & above), while reducing the standards somewhat for the very young ones (early elementary) and perhaps not so different for the in between ages.