Yikes puffin - that sounds awful!

The little I know is aiming for something quite different - it's a term that's getting big in med school re-vamping. The idea IIRC seems to be to focus on key skills and how to get them, rather than checking boxes for spending time on each of a long list of topics. Over the last few decades, the list keeps getting longer, and training takes longer, but trainees are not necessarily better for all the extra hours (years).

CBE is trying to go the opposite direction (here's a sample: http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/resources/cbme). In theory, such an approach ought to be glorious for gifties - it's individualized, and if you already know something, you can move on to something you don't. I hear med school directors speaking very positively of the idea, but I don't know if there's much real experience to judge yet.

And unfortunately, as horrible perversions of concepts like discovery or problem-based learning have well demonstrated, a little edu-speak can go a long and distorted way.