One of my kids took classes with Music for Young Children (which is into full-body learning). One of their tools was a metal sheet with a blank music staff and a set of round magnets. For rote practice, you can call out letters (make me 4 C's, for example, or two bass clef F's), or show notes and have them name them. We were supposed to do this for five minutes a day. You can make words, too (you can find lists by googling). You can do similar things on the keyboard itself, calling letters/ words, or having them identify keys/ words. Not fun, but effective.

They told us that mnemonics (the only way I know how to do it) make it harder to develop automaticity, as you're always stopping to count and recite rather than spatially recognize. They did, however, teach all sorts of memory tricks to associate specific notes visually with their place on the clef or keyboard.

I did a little bit of research on dyslexia and music, and it seems like a multi-sensory kind of approach is recommended. Suzuki was mentioned several times, and although I don't have any experience with it, the descriptions I saw seemed to suggest the MYC program we were using took a similar kind of approach. Lots of using the body to show patterns and manipulatives. Probably overall a good approach for kids with LDs that affect automaticity, but the downside is it's all pre-scripted, group classes, so zero flex to the individual kid. And an older kid - especially a boy - could be turned off by some of the beginner materials. Overall, it was great for artsy, imaginative DD-then7, would have been a nightmare for techy, divergent DS9.

Sorry, probably WAY too much information to a simple question. blush