I brought A Nation Deceived and Empowered with me to the last meeting. The newest member of the team (a new instructional coach) was the only person familiar with either document.

When the district representative stated "it will seem like we're moving slow to you, but we will feel like we're moving very fast," I discussed the benefits of acceleration earlier rather than later.

There are people at the table that are not opposed; however, the resistance is really coming from the district rep. We already have issues with her not taking us seriously regarding anxiety during transitions. Basically, she does not have a gifted education background, yet she is the Director of Gifted Programs and Curriculum. She wants a "wait and see" approach to try out a new assessment tool in 1st grade for math that they can't even show me because it isn't developed yet. They plan to start it this fall!! I basically told them my son is not a guinea pig and the longer we wait, the harder it will be for him to transition.

I have explained that I want to use the IAS because it is an objective tool that will tell us if acceleration would be a good fit. I'm not asking them to just move him because I think that's what is best. I am cautious, too. I don't want to make the wrong move, but doing nothing is the wrong move.

It is SO frustrating. In our first meeting, they said they haven't really dealt with this situation and I could become a resource for them moving forward. In the second, the district rep said she knows with 5 elementary schools, they'll have this situation come up again, so they want to be careful about the steps they take. It'll set a precedence.

What I want to know....because I know students have been accelerated....is what in the world is happening to these kids! He's not the only gifted child. He's not even profoundly gifted. Are the parents just listening to lip service?

UGH!

Yes, I am going to ask the neuropsych administering the test what his thoughts are about the aptitude portion. Thanks!