Originally Posted by mominMA
I wouldnt think he has vision issues, he gets fairly regular eye exams as he has a small cataract, the cataract is so small he doesn't know it's there, how else could i tell?

Our dd with the severe vision challenge also was receiving regular eye exams. As Portia mentioned, an eye exam from the typical eye dr only tests for visual acuity in each eye, and it's possible to have 20/20 eyesight in each eye (my dd did at the time) and still not have the eyes working together effectively, which is important for accurate vision. In my dd's case, her eyes did not track and she had severe double vision, and the way her brain coped with it was to effectively turn off the vision in one eye. There were signs that she had vision issues but they were relatively subtle things that wouldn't necessarily be obvious unless you knew you were looking for a vision issue. Those signs included: not making direct eye contact when she was talking to us (instead she tended to look off into the distance), holding her head at an angle when working on school work, often putting it down on the table. Tiring quickly when she had to do school work, difficulties learning to read that didn't seem to match her intellectual ability. Extreme sensitivity to noise. Very messy eater - crumbs everywhere. Somewhat clumsy. Couldn't remember multi-step directions - for instance, if I told her to pick up her socks in the living room, put them in the laundry bin, and then wash her hands, she'd forget where she was going by the time she made it halfway to the laundry room. Easily frustrated with puzzles. Freaked out by the movie theater.

We met with neuropsych tonight, shes going to repeat all tests as she was perplexed by some of his old scores. This particular doctor has written a ton of articles and books and has done a lot of research on 2e so im hopeful that she'll give us some answers so we can make decisions on how to help him. Testing starts tomorrow, Wed, and possibly Thursday. She's going to give us preliminary feedback Thursday, then we'll her final report in the summer.

This sounds wonderful - good luck with getting through the testing and figuring out what's up!

Best wishes,

polarbear