My sons participate in club sports divided by age not grade. Once high school level they participate as a whole team (and the school lets everyone participate). So as a freshman you are competing against seniors. And my boys particular sport high school season is for fun, club is the competitive.

In club things change around high school too. once you are 15 sometimes you compete Open (which is open to any age but generally is 15 and over including Olympians), sometimes there is a 15/16 category separate from the open category but not often.

So my children are not future Olympians. Heck my son rarely places top eight in club competition his entire career (if he did it was because not many people entered that event). He is still good he is just really small and many many others are just better.

He has never really needed a skip so sports and skip never entered the equation but he would be considered small for a grade or two behind him, his grade and the next grade up. So...I make academic decisions based on academics and sports just don't enter into those decisions...just as academics don't enter into sports decisions (other than not impacting his ability to do his homework).

Last edited by Cookie; 05/25/15 05:36 AM. Reason: Take out '