Ah, yes. I remember that discussion, MichelleC! Thanks for fixing the link.

Now, my DD is MG, and she has average working memory. If you add in the extra ability of HG, you will undoubtedly crank up the hiding ability too.
Sounds like we have our work cut out for us to figure out what is going on with DS6. It's actually a little less on my mind now, because his Lexile reading level has continued to skyrocket since I made that post in March. He's now getting the gist of books with Lexile scores of 780 (so his level is probably 100 or so below that), still way up from the beginning of the year. But... I know that this doesn't really rule out dyslexia.

And if the experience of others in my family can be extrapolated, if you add in off-the-charts memory and visual spatial skills, you have people who can't decode to save their life, but can memorize the shape of every word they use, and "see" it in their head to read as well as to reproduce on paper (backwards, forward, upside down, it doesn't matter to DH. It's a shape, not a word, and he can flip and rotate in his head at will).
Really interesting observation! DS just the other day demonstrated that he is really good at reading words which are upside down. Is this unusual for a 6-year-old?