Ok, thanks. I guess that's both good and bad news. I was hoping that there would be no essay writing at all, but at least it's optional and there is a way out if DD does not get past this angst by the time she has to take the test. It seems like the scoring of an essay would be so subjective.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by blackcat
I'm just curious about the "writing" on the SAT. Do students actually need to write an essay, or is it just a multiple choice tests ABOUT essays? I looked at the link but figured it would be easier to ask if someone can answer quickly. DD is only in fourth grade but would freak out if she needed to plan and write something, esp. in a time limit.
After reading https://www.collegeboard.org/delivering-opportunity/sat/faqs , I think you do not need to write an essay if you just want math and verbal scores . The SAT is going back to two scores, each in the 200-800 range.

Will the SAT still have an essay section?

Yes. Students will be asked to write an essay analyzing a source document. The essay prompt will be shared in advance and will remain consistent; only the passage will change. The Essay section will no longer be required by the College Board. However, many school districts and colleges will require students to complete the Essay. Learn more about the Essay.

Why is the essay optional?

There are two main reasons behind the decision to make the essay optional on the redesigned SAT. The editing work students do in the multiple-choice Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section is deeply predictive of college success. However, one essay alone has not in the past contributed significantly to the overall predictive power of the exam. Furthermore, feedback from college admission officers was split; some of them found the essay useful while many did not.

How will SAT scores change?

The redesigned SAT will be scored on a 400- to 1600-point scale. The Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section and the Math section will each be scored on a 200- to 800-point scale. Scores for the Essay section will be reported separately.