I am new to all this, and have spent time reading many other threads in an effort to learn from all of your experiences. In February, my 5yo son was tested by our local school district for consideration in their self-contained AIG classroom (K-8). I had heard great things about it from acquaintances whose children went through the program, but was very unsure of whether he would qualify. I knew he was bright (fluent reader at 4, loves math and seems to understand more advanced concepts intuitively), but at the parent meeting, they were very clear that just being "advanced" doesn't mean a child will qualify. They implied they were looking for some rare combination of genius and creativity. I still thought why not test him to know what all our options are for K. I don't want him to be bored in school.

Well, he totally surprised me by being in the 99th percentile. They mailed results recently, and all it said was:
Nonverbal Cognitive 99
Verbal Cognitive 99
Achievement Reading 99
Achievement Math 99

A percentile of 97 or higher in two areas is the cutoff to qualify, so he got a spot. However, we just found out we will have to relocate across the country this summer! The school district where we are going does not have self-contained gifted programming and does not test for giftedness until the end of second grade. I still thought it would be useful to have his test results as I advocate for his learning needs going forward, so I called the office where he was tested and was completely caught off guard by their reaction. I told them we would have to give up his spot as we are unexpectedly relocating, and asked for a more detailed record of his assessment. She said there is no detailed report, and she could not even disclose the names of the tests they administered to him. She treated me like I was trying to do something sneaky, when all I want to know is what tests my child was given. Am I missing something here? I didn't argue with her, just said thank you and hung up. But now I am feeling overwhelmed. I did not expect to have a child with these kinds of needs. I want to make sure he gets his educational needs met as well as possible, and I am already running into resistance. I am feeling very overwhelmed and would welcome any advice you have or any guesses on what tests they may have given him to get those results. (He was in the testing room for about 45 min. When he came out he said, "that was fun, mom!" So at least no harm was done.)