Originally Posted by George C
Yet his teacher says that while he is bright, he's not brightest in a class of 14

This might be true (or it might not be true). What is *for certain* true is that EG/PG/average really don't have any one *look* - every child presents their own unique personality to the world, and not every child (or adult) chooses to put their intelligence on display. Teachers and even parents can get a biased view of what extremely gifted *should* "look" like - but that doesn't work. Every individual is exactly that - an individual.

I do think it's possible, though, that there might have been another HG+ child in your child's class at school. I know other students who've been id'd as HG+ in our school district through district testing, and to be honest, they weren't necessarily the students I would have walked into class and instantly recognized (and some of these are kids I know well :))

(we were told this was a reason they did not want to accelerate him when we asked).

Just because there are HG+ peers in his class isn't a reason to not provide an appropriate curriculum. Maybe it's an indication they should *all* be accelerated. Or maybe it's an opportunity for in-class differentiation. In any event, it's not a valid reason for the school to ignore the educational needs of your ds smile

Next year, we are going to try a private gifted school (which the whole family is excited about), but now I'm wondering... if his classmates are mostly mild to moderately gifted, will he blend in "too well" like he does everywhere else? Will his teachers even recognize that he may need further acceleration? And how would I know if he's not getting what he needs?

You'll know if he's getting what he needs by staying involved in knowing what's going on in class - you'll talk to your ds, you'll get to know the teachers, you'll stay on top of it. You'll advocate. It won't be a situation where you can just send your ds off to school in the morning and trust that all will be well... but really, no matter what the LOG (or not)... isn't that what involved parents *do*?

It might not be easy, but you'll be on top of it and you'll do everything you can to support your child and advocate for him. I believe that in the end, it will work out ok smile And if it doesn't, you'll most likely change schools (knock on wood that doesn't have to happen!!!)

Best wishes,

polarbear