I have some insight into thIs problem. My father's a psychologist, and i have some experience as a patient. I know im perfectly capable working out WHY i feel the way i do by myself. Ive never found that that helps fix my problems.especially when the problem is how i act in the face of stress. one sees a psychiatrist for meds. For practical advice about proactively changing your emotional response to situations or thoughts, for self work on your habits of mind, she will need a good psychologist with a strong background/focus in cognitive behavioral therapy, or maybe a precocious and passionate grad student with adequate supervision. Try a support group for recommendations, or someone from the psychology department on campus. or try calling a nearby hospitalfor suggestions. The cognitive behavioral therapy thing is important. If you get a therapist with a psychoanalytical background, they help you figure out why, instead of how to make things better. Also important is rapport. If a therapist doesn't seem like it's working out, you should try to find one who you can work with asap, because it's likely a waste of time and money if that isn't there.

the wait may be a problem But more so if she's seeing a psychiatrist for therapy,there's less of them to go around. It could be an insurance issue.or just a matter of making enough phone calls. In the meantime, there are always books, or message boards, or research papers if that's her cup of tea. she could go to taichi or yoga or do meditation or breathing excercises other things that promote mindfulness, which would give her a head start on cbt anyway, and might help in and of themselves. Hopefully you figure something out soon.
good luck.