[just moving this post because I realize it belongs here and not in 'Learning Environments']

Hello all! Just want to start out by saying this year has been nothing short of fabulous for my 2e boy! And I credit this board and you awesome parents for all the help you gave us in our 2e journey! Thank you all so, so, so much!

So, we got a letter home saying the kiddos in enrichment math this year (my son is one) will be tested to see they qualify for "accelerated math" in 4th grade. No surprise. I knew the kids would be tested for this and I knew the criteria is some sort of standardize assessment, teacher input and math grades - so I knew a standardized test was coming up for this... I just figured it's the Kaufman or maybe WIAT or something (I don't know, are there others?) Anyway, what struck me though was the statement in the letter that kids would first be "screened with a short standardized math test." THEN, if they pass the screening they get another test - standardized test. I am just curious - what does this mean? I admit it makes me a little concerned because the OLSAT is used at this school to "screen" for the gifted program and we all know that isn't a good measure... so, I guess I have my doubts when they start using the word "screen." I mean, nothing for me to do but see how it goes for him. But I am just curious how this usually works, if anyone knows? What screening they could possibly be using and is such a tool usually reliable (unlike the screening tools for IQ testing). Thanks in advance!