I don't think a once a week pull out program will get you what you are looking for. It's worth it to talk to the public school and see if there is anything else they can do (like acceleration), but I would not move there just for a gifted program that only does that. How long do they pull kids out? An hour? All day? Unless it's all-day, I don't think it's worth it, because the vast majority of time would be spent in an inappropriate environment. Even if it IS all-day, what about the rest of the days?

We have two schools in our area that move kids to the right level and mix ages, without changing their actual enrolled grade level (similar to Montessori). They are both public schools (one is a charter), and luckily we have open enrollment and are not stuck with our neighborhood school. It's worth it to look around at ALL the options in your area. If you are stuck with that ONE public school choice, and they will only offer that pull-out program, then you will need to look at other private schools.