We've noticed this as an issue for DD for a while (she's 7yo in 2nd grade), but she just got in her report card a note about how she "distracts herself" and then "thinks she needs to rush" to complete her work. I've definitely seen DD space out and stare at her pencil and around the room instead of focusing and getting her work done. We thought maybe it was an issue with others talking but it doesn't seem to be.

DH thinks it's because her thoughts are more interesting than the work. I wonder if it is the work being too easy. She's a good student but you can tell when a passionate interest drives her vs plodding along. She did sit down with her report and study it carefully for twenty minutes and point out the typo and a discrepancy (I explained if they just started a topic this week it would still be NA on her report.)

I kind of want to press the school to assess her. Seems like distraction could be an adhd flag, and I really just want them to do an assessment so we can see all her strengths and weaknesses, and we canNOT afford the 1k+ cost of testing. Would it be wacky to press for it? Our next step (in general, not just about this but for general concern about progress and challenge this year) is to meet with the teacher (she must not be too concerned because we weren't called in for the conferences this term) but I've been waiting really for a chance to try to get the school to assess, and wondered if this might be it...