I would really appreciate some help interpreting scores and getting a sense of what I can realistically expect for DS next year. We just received test scores for high ability placement for DS7 currently attending first grade. We had the WISC-IV done privately about 9 months ago with the following results:
VCI - 142
PRI - 139
WMI - 144
PSI - 121
FSIQ - 147

They also gave us 2 WIAT-III results (again this was 9 months ago, end of KG):
Word reading - 6.4, SS 151
Numerical operations - 3.7, SS 160

The school administered the CogAt (Verbal - 98; Quantitative - 99 and Composite 99) and Terra Nova (reading/language 97, mathematics 99). They also provided SIGS (GIA - 99, ELA - 99, Math - 99).
I have couple of questions:
1. I called the principal to discuss my son's placement in 2nd grade next year, and I mentioned that I felt the area of math and sciences was lacking. The principal referred me to my son's 99 score on the CogAt as proof that he is learning new material. Isn't that irrelevant? Wasn't he tested on his ability to complete 2nd grade material? Am I wrong?

2. My second question is regarding how to best serve his learning needs. Based on his scores, should he be able to do math at roughly the same grade level as his reading? I am concerned that we (parents) and the school are really neglecting that area. He has asked to learn algebra and I've been putting him off because of his age...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by lmb123; 03/07/15 04:56 PM.