So, we've been homeschooling for two months now. It's going well for the most part but I'd love your advice on how to handle one recurring issue. Major tears...at least three times a week.

DS wants to arrive at the answer the easiest way possible with little or no effort. He skips steps in math problems, gets the problems wrong and then melts down when we have to revisit the work to correct it. He hates getting things wrong and often tries to negotiate with me about how his way or strategy is right...but it's not.

He even does this with spelling words. Just today he misspelled multiple words the first time. He asked if he got them right, I said no and he spelled them differently and said, "Good, I got them all right."

(Confusing tidbit-he doesn't do this with Beast Academy. He thinks it's hard and he enjoys the process of working it out. He'll even say that he likes it because it is hard.)

What is this? Public school was so easy for him that I'm afraid he doesn't know how to be wrong or that it's not okay to be wrong.

Do any of you have experience with this? How did you undo this? I don't want to give in to the tears but it's so hard to continue working when he is so, very upset. It can sometimes take him an hour to move on and that's with a break to play outside or whatever to help him.

Thanks for your help. I'm struggling to put this puzzle together wink

*He's got dysgraphia but I really don't think that's at play here. I don't think.

Last edited by NikiHarp; 03/06/15 11:42 AM. Reason: confusing tidbit