I dropped out of a PhD psychology program and switched programs because I didn't WANT to be an academic (not to mention the terrible job market for that), yet there was no training in the program for other kinds of careers. I went into the wrong kind of psych program. It was basically "social psychology." The whole thing was a big mistake. I always wonder how many of my classmates "made it" and ended up with the kind of academic job they wanted.

My brother did end up with an academic/research/teaching job in physics, and he started as an associate professor right after graduating, but I don't think it was easy. It wasn't clear to me from the article if the academic job market is like this in all/most areas. A very large number of his classmates came from other countries, so if there are already so many applicants, why are colleges recruiting from other countries? Are they really that much more qualified? I think even with the program I was in, the large majority of applicants are rejected. Many people did not get teaching/research assistantships.