Have not been on this forum for a while, due to things going 'well', lol.
DS14 was diagnosed with some depression around age 8, and after a concerted effort to work on a few things with him, things seemed great, and continue to seem pretty solid in the mood department. We have been homeschooling as school itself was getting to be a drag for all of us, I have commented on that in the long ago past, so won't rehash. (typical gifted/2e school issues).
He is beginning to feel like his pool of friends is reduced too much, however. I think this is true, having fallen out of daily contact with a few buddies, so we are considering HS at the ps for him, but there is a major concern that he still has the organization prowess of a 8-10 year old and I think he might really sink -- so we are considering reassessment at least for add. Symptoms include generally getting only a modest amount of work done, and as far as self motivation, there is some regarding the arts which is nice, but I am not sure it will suit him for the long haul. He still spends quite a while every day running in circles in the basement. Reading a book can take a week or literally 6 months, which I find absurd. He seems to actually be memorizing some of these books.
After reading most of this page (it is LONG and I have more to read) http://www.klis.com/chandler/pamphlet/adhd/What%20is%20ADHD.htm#_Toc151458823
It sounds like he is spot on for this add stuff, and as unfortunate as it is, it might be really good to get a handle on this now before it derails his hopes for a semi-normal hs experience.
The co-morbidity section really surprised me, and may explain why he still lags in coordination.
Complicating factors include: he is on asthma meds which appear in some cases to make add more severe and he has complained about poor sleep in the couple months, and I know that also can mimic add issues.

Dd8 has always been a handful. After homeschooling her for about a year, we expected to see some major improvement in attitude, however things are about the same as far as how much she says NO as loud as possible. I have pondered 'odd' as a possible issue for her, but now that I am also looking into add for our ds, the markers for her: interrupting, tantrums, severe reluctance to some kinds of work despite hg scores, talking ALL.the.time, etc. seem rather obvious.
I have decided to have her evaluated as well, for add and odd as, again, they seem to be found a lot together.

any of this sound familiar? If so, please let me know what is working and what is not working...could I be on the right track here? is there a thread on the forum already with good add sites/resources to check out?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by chris1234; 02/16/15 05:25 PM.