Originally Posted by bluemagic
Originally Posted by Tallulah
Blue magic, if middle math is integrated now, does that mean high school math will be, too?!
Not necessary. The CA standards(*) state that districts/H.S. are allowed to choose either an integrated model (Math 1, Math 2, Math 3) or a traditional one. (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2). I know of a county wide magnet school that offers both. The classes cover the same material but in a slightly different order. These courses assumes that you have taken Common Core 8 and already have some basic algebra & geometry to start. Basic trig is covered in this sequence. And common core standards only go through Algebra 2, although Algebra 2 includes some topics that used to be in Pre-Calculus. If you moved from a school that teachers one model to one that teacher the other there would be material missed.

The officially(*) approved way to accelerate kids is to offer 'compressed' courses and the details are left to the district. For example districts are looking at Grade 7/Grade8/Algebra 1(or Math 1) over 7th & 8th grade. It certainly helps if the junior high & H.S coordinate.

I've heard that some large districts in the state are going to insist that ALL students take the "grade level" course (ie.. all 9th graders take Algebra 1) no matter if they have previously taken the course or not. Not sure how long that will last.

(*) I'm framing this from the CA state standards because I basing this frorm CA state dept of education documents. I can't guarantee that they are options in other states.

Waaaah! Maybe we'll just hack school. If they can't even integrate math, there's no chance of high school science becoming integrated, is there?

(by this I mean studying each science alongside the others so you progress in biology at the same rate as in chemistry and in chemistry at the same rate as in physics).