Originally Posted by Ria
Hi All: My DD is currently in 2nd grade in NJ and she had her STARR test twice, once in Oct and another last week. She has high scores and the teacher told me that she is performing at a higher than average 4th grade students in reading and Math. She said that DD will need to take CogAT Test. Could you please suggest the matetials/books for the CoGAT test? Thanks a lot for your help.

I don't know a lot about the STARR test, so I can't comment on that. As far as the CoGAT, I've heard really mixed things about how well it identifies gifted kids. For my kids, it generally seemed to match up pretty well. We used materials from The Critical Thinking Co. in the summers, and I know they have some specifically targeted to the CoGAT. My kids really enjoyed some of their logic and puzzle books, and I'm sure that helped them on some of the standardized tests.

I think the most important thing to do is to talk to your daughter and see how she's feeling about school. If she's perfectly happy, it may not matter what happens in testing. If you hear she's bored or frustrated, it's worth it to find other outlets for her learning, or possibly pursue private testing. I've read that most parents are pretty accurate in identifying giftedness, and I assume you suspect it or you wouldn't have found this board.

Good luck and I hope you find lots of great resources for your dd on this board!