Originally Posted by MichelleC
How would they know? So by sharing with your son how stealth dyslexia may impact reading and writing, you are giving him the tools to recognize himself what "ought" to be happening, and to be able to tell you when his experience is otherwise.
Excellent point.
For your son, for reading to be a strength despite the likely presence of dyslexia is an enormous affirmation of his abilities, not of a disability.
So true. Not only of his abilities, but of his strength of character and determination...too many dyslexic or otherwise LD kids internalize the mischaracterizations of laziness they receive from outside. I make a point of specifically telling kids that they are -not- lazy--actually, they are working harder than most other students are.
And can I second Percy Jackson? My dyslexic/ ADHD-I DD8 continues to proudly embrace her demigod status - to the point where last week, on discovering her eyes did not track or converge together (thus adding visual processing to our diagnosis list), she informed me most seriously: "But Mommy, demi-gods need to be able to pay attention to a whole bunch of things at once, so maybe our eyes are *supposed* to be looking at different things!"
Love this!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...