Originally Posted by nicoledad
Our district doesn't do class rank anymore. Any honor rolls that kids make are based on unweighted GPA's.I know in our district junior/senior year though you can take one class pass/fail but that doesn't help in your case. I agree with GF2 with it being a "plus" though it lowers the GPA. This may seem dumb but I'm not sure why you get a grade for taking band. High School athletes don't get graded for being on a sports team.
Not true in my district you get a grade for athletics, marching band, drama, ASP (student council), art, and PE. There are some things like academic teams that are only 'clubs' but I've heard of schools that teams like Science Olympiad are classes with teachers and grades. Most of these classes ask more time of the students than most academic classes do even with the huge amount of homework some of them give. Not all classes get 'academic' credit but they all count towards graduation and the total GPA.

My kid takes two classes concert band & marching band. Both are classes & both get grades, marching band qualifies for PE credit. You can't be enrolled in marching band if you aren't enrolled in concert band. Concert Band 'counts' as a UC course (aka academic course) but Marching Band doesn't. In concert band you learn different skills than you would in a a math or english class. But learning to read music, learning to follow the instructor, work as a large group are all important educational skills. Students go to university to study music, shouldn't their H.S. music classes count for credit & a grade?