My son is in kindergarten and has not been engaged throughout the year. Because of this, and other gifted traits, he gets negative colors (they use a green, yellow, orange, red system) a lot. His school is doing a pilot reading program where students are paired according to level.

He is reading well (he reads a lot of minecraft material), but he had to stay in K reading because he's "not comprehending" what he reads. What's actually going on is he dislikes the books and worksheets. I haven't been able to allow us to read and do the worksheets over topics he's interested in for homework instead of the little books they send home. When I ask him what we read, he says, "I don't know" or "I don't remember." I told him that's why he didn't go to 1st grade for reading, at which point he broke down the whole book for me.

I know he has to "perform" for them, but it's frustrating. They can see his ability to comprehend in a million other ways. He's running his poor teacher ragged and she's reaching the end of her line.

They don't offer a gifted program until 2nd grade, and I'm not sure we can handle another year of this type of thing. I want to look into subject acceleration, even though they don't currently provide it. What subject tests would any of you suggest?

I'd just like to see him more engaged and working on his level, but I don't think he's socially mature enough for grade acceleration. Thoughts? Thanks.