Update: This weekend was packed full of games. He played 2-45 min full ice games and 4-20 min 1/2 ice games.

He scored 4 goals, in separate games. Skated with the puck up ice and passed more in hopes of making assists. Coaches had him playing mostly Defense but after scoring gave him an opportunity to play Center.

But the most important parts came before the games. I asked him what he wanted to be recognized for as a team player. He said saves and assists. He said he feels bad when he takes the puck from another player. I explained what expectations his team members had for him and suggested that the place to make amends to opponents was at the end of the game line up for fist bumps where he could say “good game, nice play” stuff. His face lit up at that, I could tell he never thought of that before.

Thanks again everyone! This gave me a new focus and questions to ask and to never be that nagging hockey-mom..."why don't you just score a goal already."

I'll end with a quick "you know you have a gifted child" story: in the locker room getting ready...while all the other boys are bragging about how many goals they are going to score...my boy is contemplating how much surface tension coffee has compared to plain water...I just love him so much and so greatful to be along for this ride with him as he discovers and navigates the world.