In a nutshell here are my son's extreme interests (obsessions):
12 months: books, clocks
18-24 months: puzzles, alphabet, anatomy
2.5 years learning to read, space
3.0 workbooks (math,reading) drawing/art,
3.5 Ok so here we are, four in February and I have finally realized a pattern: roughly two months of an obsession, 2 weeks of relaxed interests, followed by 2 monts of a new obsession, .....
It was writing books for two months, then our 1-2 week break, then building and drawing diagrams of ideas, then our 1-2 week break and now we are back on math. I'm exhausted. I feel like I am thrown in to a two month intense bootcamp of whatever he is into. Right now it's math and specifically yesterday and today, the hundred chart. So I go to the store to buy some materials and I don't know how many days I have after all this work and cost that he will enjoy it. I can't buy most of these materials premade because he needs materials that are for a 3 year old's gross/fine motor abilities but cognitively for a 5-6 year old.

It's been two years of exhausting subject switching and it's just not slowing down. I guess I am mostly venting. I'll go where he wants us to, I just wish I could plan something out. I wish we could get a tutor just so someone could help me with the materials and spending time with him when he is in the mode of a new subject.

Last edited by GGG; 12/22/14 02:07 PM.