Originally Posted by greenlotus
Originally Posted by Kai
It is grade 7, though the level of the test does not determine what norms are used in scoring. That is specified by the person filling out the student's information on the answer sheet--frequently the student him/herself. There is a space where the student's grade level is to be bubbled in and that is what is used in scoring the test.

So the school psychologist did agree that she gave the ITBS level 13 (we were originally told DD would get the 6th grade test). The grade of the student taking the test would have a bearing on the NPR he/she received. Our DD is in 4th grade, and the sheet states this. How does a 4th grader get scored on this vs. a 7th grader taking the test?

It will be scored against 4th grade norms. Meaning she is being compared to other 4th graders rather than 7th graders. A standard score is calculated and then that standard score is what is used to determine the percentile rank as compared to whatever grade level is specified.

I gave my son the 7th grade ITBS (though not form E) when he was in 4th grade. He also got 99s down the line when scored against 4th graders. I also had score sheets done scoring him against 5th, 6th, and 7th graders. Here are the total scores for each subtest (form E has different subtest names, but this will give you an idea of how the percentiles fall as you go up the grade levels):

Subtest name: 4th/5th/6th/7th (PR)

Reading total: 99/97/90/79
Language total: 99/99/99/95
Math total: 99/99/97/89
Core total: 99/99/98/91
Social studies: 99/99/94/86
Science: 99/96/88/81
Sources of information: 99/99/93/84
Composite: 99/99/97/89

I'm pretty sure that the test can be rescored against 6th grade norms if that's what they're wanting to see.