My daughter is 8 and in 3rd grade. She's currently in a self-contained gifted class but is unhappy, in particular with the math. We recently looked at a very small independent school and she did a two day shadow where she felt like she actually learned something. Dh and I are still in discussion as to what we should do. Part of me thinks that she's 8 and how much can it matter what she's learning. The other part thinks this is just a downward spiral that will set her back and teach her that you learn nothing in school.

Financially the private school would be tight but I learned that she could re-enter the gifted program, granted there is space (which I don't see being a huge issue because it's not full now). The other option is to homeschool which I don't know how good of a job I could do without an actual curriculum to follow and tell me what to do. lol

She is very strong in math despite receiving little to no actual instruction in school. They are expected to be independent and 'figure things out' on their own. She enjoys math when it's presented in a way she likes. At home she is more driven to writing and planning plays, she has been working on her current play for the past 4 weeks.